Thursday, February 12, 2009

Grammar Lesson

So lately it seems like we have been lacking in the grammar department. I speak with my friends on the via internet and text often due to distance and scheduling issues. The lack in attention to grammar is really pushing my buttons here. Now I must say that my friends are generally well educated, intelligent human beings. Some even pay attention to grammar most of the time. But there is one grammatical issue that is really pissing me off that NO ONE seems to have the grasp of. So here I am. Giving you the lesson on how to use the proper "your/you're." This will also help save the whales.

I will start off with some definitions:

your:
/yʊər, yɔr, yoʊr; unstressed yər/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [yoor, yawr, yohr; unstressed yer]
–pronoun
1.
(a form of the possessive case of
you used as an attributive adjective): Your jacket is in that closet. I like your idea. Compare yours.
2.
one's (used to indicate that one belonging to oneself or to any person): The consulate is your best source of information. As you go down the hill, the library is on your left.
3.
(used informally to indicate all members of a group, occupation, etc., or things of a particular type): Take your factory worker, for instance. Your power brakes don't need that much servicing.
you're:
/yʊər; unstressed yər/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [yoor; unstressed yer]
contraction of you are: You're certain that's right?
So, as you can see, if you are using the contraction of "you are" you will use "you're." If you are indicating possession, you will use "your."
Now, let's see if my friends can do it right:
goesMOO 7x (8:17:41 PM): how was your day?
Is this correct? YES Heather asks me how "my" day was, which indicated possession. Thus, she was correct in using "your." Congratulations Heather.
afipanic (11:51:02 PM): YOUR my bfflez too
Is this correct? NO Matt is indicating that I "am" his best friend forever. However, he does not use the contraction "you're." Instead he indicated possession. I am sorry Matt, but you are incorrect. Try again.
Zander 911 (11:02:04 PM):keep a knife under your bed
Is this correct: YES Zander suggests I should keep a knife under "my" bed. Indicating possession by using "your" is the correct use in this case. Good job cousin.
floundr (12:43:08 AM):come play rockband some time or catch a movie at my place, your more than welcome to come chillax
Is this correct?: NO Weston very kindly tells me that I "am" welcome to come chillax. However, instead of using the contraction "you're," he indicates possession using "your." This is wrong.
Now that we have defined both your and you're and given examples of correct and incorrect usage, let's play a game! Try to figure our the correct use of "you/you're" in the following sentences. Answers at the end of the blog!
1. What is (your/you're) name?
2. (Your/you're) a total slut.
3. I think (your/you're) pretty stupid, but I think (your/you're) jokes are funny anyway.
4. I love (your/you're) mom.
5. Why aren't you doing what (your/you're) supposed to do?
I hope this has been informative for you. Next time you use the word "your" or "you're," take an extra second to make sure you use the correct one. This will make the world a better place and save the whales.
Thank you,
Kalin Rheanne
answers: 1. your 2. you're 3. you're, your 4. your 5. you're

No comments:

Post a Comment